So it wasn't the Messiah-it wasn't even Handel-it was an oratorio by Johann Sebastian Bach which he called Weihnachtsoratorium which is practically impossible to pronouce gracefully so nowadays we cheat a litle and call it Bach's Christmas Oratorio which is kinda fun to say and sounds prettier, too. It was just a teeny tiny mix-up, a little bitty misunderstanding but I was still excited about it until I noticed from the program that all of the songs were in German (which served to considerably dampen my enthusiasm...that is, until the performance began) The overture was majestic and glorious and so extremely "Bach," if I can use a proper noun as an adjective. (and I can because this is my blog and it seems like I break the rules of grammar on a regular basis anyway, so I say let's go with it.)
Then the choir began singing things like "Glory to God in the highest" which I never would have known without the subtitles because German is pretty much nothing like English.
Thanks to modern technology (and my "distance" glasses) I was blessed by the words of Scripture and the inspiring lyrics, some of which I jotted down (kind of a trick to do in the dark.) I will share with you my favorite phrases:
"Break through, oh lovely light of morn."
"Now will the Star of Jacob shine its radiance..."
"How shall I fitly meet Thee and give Thee welcome due?"
"For us to Earth He cometh poor "
"Within yon gloomy Manger lies..."
"Ruler of Heaven, hear our stammering tones"
"Hear our heart's triumphant praise because our welfare is assured"
"I will live for Thee here"
"With Thee I will soar at last, filled with joy without end!!"
Then the choir began singing things like "Glory to God in the highest" which I never would have known without the subtitles because German is pretty much nothing like English.
Thanks to modern technology (and my "distance" glasses) I was blessed by the words of Scripture and the inspiring lyrics, some of which I jotted down (kind of a trick to do in the dark.) I will share with you my favorite phrases:
"Break through, oh lovely light of morn."
"Now will the Star of Jacob shine its radiance..."
"How shall I fitly meet Thee and give Thee welcome due?"
"For us to Earth He cometh poor "
"Within yon gloomy Manger lies..."
"Ruler of Heaven, hear our stammering tones"
"Hear our heart's triumphant praise because our welfare is assured"
"I will live for Thee here"
"With Thee I will soar at last, filled with joy without end!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment