Sunday, June 29, 2014

Walking to Westminster...U.K. Trip Day 4c


We crossed Westminster Bridge and left the Thames behind, making our way to Westminster Square, peeking through fences, into parking lots and viewing other utilitarian points of interest. I really did this. I wanted to see regular life in this magical town. I wanted to see people parking cars and changing light bulbs, sweeping the floor and pulling the weeds. I can't really explain why I wanted to see what went on behind the scenes of what we were supposed to see. I guess I just wanted to see real life.

Anyway, I did see some real life as we passed the Parliament building and a few other random places as we made our way to the church of St. Margaret, which stands in the shadows of both the House of Parliament and Westminster Abbey.  Sir Walter Raleigh, among others, is buried here. Sir Walter Raleigh!  The building was built in 1523, a fact which my mind had a hard time comprehending. The church itself was established in the late 11th century. That is like, the Middle Ages, the Norman invasion, William the Conqueror, the Crusades. I didn't even try to to wrap my brain around how long ago that was.



Here it was also that we spied our second kilt-wearing dude of the day. I am well on the way to becoming a fan of bagpipes. Becoming a fan of kilts is a little bit farther down the road.


Our inaugural use of the London Pass was Westminster Abbey. True to promise, we were able to skip waiting in line and enter the Abbey.  It was breathtaking.  I absolutely have no words to describe it.                                                               
                                                                     

                                                                              The End

No comments:

Post a Comment