I vividly remember a bit of childish reasoning that occurred about this time. I had not a doubt or question in my mind that God created all I saw. Then it came to me to wonder about God. Who created God? And I answered my own query with the singularly satisfying yet mystifying response, "God, of course." I remember laughing at myself. It was like looking at myself in the mirror, holding a mirror, looking at myself in the mirror, holding a mirror...It didn't seem to ever end and I wondered if it ever began...or if it just always was. (John 1)
Friday, February 18, 2011
Journey to My Friend: Part 2
Part 2: ♫ For the Beauty of the Earth ♫
The first real hymn I remember learning was For the Beauty of the Earth. I loved the first line: "For the beauty of the earth, for the glory of the skies..." Spending virtually all of my waking non-school hours outdoors, I had a great appreciation for God's creation. Even though I didn't know God, I knew of God because His creation spoke to me of Him daily. I wanted to know more than the tidbits I had learned in my sporadic, brief spurts of Sunday School and Vacation Bible School. Those tidbits only whetted my appetite for more. But it was not to be--at least, not at that friendly little Methodist church. Sunday School, church, Vacation Bible School and summer visits with my grandparents came to an end as we kids became more useful out in the field.
I vividly remember a bit of childish reasoning that occurred about this time. I had not a doubt or question in my mind that God created all I saw. Then it came to me to wonder about God. Who created God? And I answered my own query with the singularly satisfying yet mystifying response, "God, of course." I remember laughing at myself. It was like looking at myself in the mirror, holding a mirror, looking at myself in the mirror, holding a mirror...It didn't seem to ever end and I wondered if it ever began...or if it just always was. (John 1)
I vividly remember a bit of childish reasoning that occurred about this time. I had not a doubt or question in my mind that God created all I saw. Then it came to me to wonder about God. Who created God? And I answered my own query with the singularly satisfying yet mystifying response, "God, of course." I remember laughing at myself. It was like looking at myself in the mirror, holding a mirror, looking at myself in the mirror, holding a mirror...It didn't seem to ever end and I wondered if it ever began...or if it just always was. (John 1)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment