Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Confession or Two (with apologies to all John Denver fans out there)

So can I tell you something? I think I can trust you. I feel like we have a close enough relationship so that you won't laugh out loud or throw things at me.

This is my confession: I used to write poetry. Lots of it. In junior and senior high school. It was pretty sappy. Many of those poems were about mountains, eagles, lakes and pine trees. (yep. sappy.) Sounds to me like someone was slightly inspired by John Denver...yeah...I know...don't judge me...


I have another confession: I still like to listen to John Denver now and then. Ditto on the above...by the way, this is the part where you don't throw things at me.


This is what I remember of one poem I wrote:

Bear Lake

From the lake's dark depths
Boulders arise
Like monsters with
Malevolent eyes.



Then it goes on to describe the "brown and woody toes" of the pine trees and the beauty of the "snow-sprinkled land." I wrote it after the first time I saw the Rocky Mountains (and after the millionth time I heard 'Rocky Mountain High'...which actually happened at about the same time...really and truly. 'Rocky Mountain High' came on the radio when we were driving up into the mountains)


Yes, I was crazy about the mountains...which might explain the John Denver thing.

If I should ever find my journals from this time in my life, I will post a few more examples of my poetry to brighten your day...or not...




(note: these pictures were taken by Rachel on a Character First ski trip in March of 2008 when Mary-Grace skiied into a wall and fractured her wrist in two places and Rachel was going up the ski lift and saw her sister lying there in the snow beside the wall with the medics working on her and...well, maybe someday I ought to write about that...just not now.)



1 comment: